Driveway Access Permit
Olmsted County requires that you have a permit before you construct or make changes to a driveway that is along a county highway. This includes:
- New driveway construction (including field, residential, and commercial driveways)
- New street construction (public and private)
- Widening a driveway
- Relocating a driveway
- A change in the use of the property
- A change in the property boundaries
Gather your information
You will need:
- A drawing that shows:
- property lines
- any existing driveway access
- Property Owner Information
- Parcel section, township, & lot description
- $125.00 per residential access
- $250.00 per commercial or public street access
Find out if you need to meet with the Highway Maintenance Engineer
In some cases, you will need to meet with the Highway Maintenance Engineer before you can submit the application.
Call 507 328-7060 to find out if your project will require a meeting.
Mark the location
Mark the location where you want the driveway (access) located. Place a stake or lathe marked with a ribbon or cloth on the back slope of the ditch.
After you've turned in the application and paid the fees, Olmsted County staff will check the stopping sight distances and the location. They will also check the proximity of other access points, railroad crossing, turn lanes, etc.
Come to the office
Come to the Olmsted County Public Works office
Public Works Service Center
1188 50th Street SE
Rochester, MN 55904
Bring with you:
- Fees (We accept personal check, cashier's check, or money order. Make checks payable to Olmsted County.)
- Completed and signed application
Note: Fees are non-refundable.
Want to provide more feedback? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.