Child Care Licensing

Do you need to be licensed?

Minnesota Statute 245A.03, Subd.2 clearly defines who must be licensed: Anyone who is providing care to children needs to be licensed, unless: · The children are related* to the child care provider; AND/OR · The children are from one family; OR · The care is for less than 30 days in any twelve-month period

*Related is defined as a natural or adopted child, stepchild, grandchildren, niece or nephew, or a sibling.

Family child care programs must meet certain standards for caregiver qualifications, physical environment, number of children per caregiver, behavior guidance, required policies and records, activities and equipment.

Attend a Child Care Orientation class 

The first step is to attend a required orientation class. This class is held on the 1st Tuesday of every month. No registration is required. Doors are open from 5:40 PM - 6:00 PM. Don't be late. There is no entry after 6:00 PM.


2117 Campus Drive SE
Room 161
Rochester, MN 55904

Date & Time:

2020 Dates

  • February 4, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • March 3, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • April 7, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • May 5, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • June 2, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • July 7, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • August 4, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • September 3, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • October 6, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
  • November 3, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Note: Due to elections this will be in a different location, due to be announced.)
  • December 1, 2020 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM


  • There is no child care available during these classes. Please do not bring children with you to the class.
  • If school or after school activities in Rochester are cancelled due to bad weather or other reasons, this class is cancelled as well.
  • If the first Tuesday falls on a legal holiday, check the schedule for an alternative orientation date.

Get answers to your questions 

Someone else has probably asked your question already. Check out the Frequently Asked Questions page for answers first. If you still don't have an answer to your question, email specific questions to our Child Care Licensing department.

Get the required pre-service training 

Before you can get a child care license, you must provide proof that you have successfully completed the training listed below. You can get more information about training at (The Minnesota Quality Improvement & Registry Tool).

  • First Aid Training
  • Infant/Child CPR Training
  • Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID)
  • Abusive Head Trauma (AHT)
  • Training in Child Development & Learning and Behavior Guidance (total of 4 hours)
  • Supervising for Safety (6 hour in person class or 8 hour online class)
  • Child Passenger Restraint Systems training (required prior to transporting children under the age of 9)

Complete & return the application packet with the license fee 

Remember you will need to provide the contact information of four (4) references. You also must provide proof that you have successfully completed the required pre-service training courses.

Complete and return the application packet, any other forms that you received during the orientation class, and the licensing fee to:

Child Care Licensing
2117 Campus Drive SE
Suite 200
Rochester, MN 55904

License Fee: $50.00 by check or money order. (Sorry, Olmsted County does not accept credit card payments.) This fee is non-refundable.

Pass Background Studies 

Background studies will be completed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. All household members and anyone who is working in your child care program is required to have a background study.

  • Adults (ages 18 and up) and helpers (ages 13 -17) will have a fingerprint-based background study completed. The fee is $49.10 per person ($40 for the study plus a fingerprinting fee of $9.10).
  • Most children (ages 13 – 17) will have a name only background study. The fee is $20 person.
  • Your licensor will notify you of what you need to do to complete the background study process after your application is received

Pass a home inspection 

At the orientation class you will receive information about the licensing requirements needed for your home. After you submit your application, a child care licensor will contact you to schedule a home inspection.

Want to provide more feedback? Contact us at

Tell us why...